Exclusive Focus In Family Law for Over 10 Years

Frequently Asked Family Law Questions

Colorado Divorce Laws

At Shea L. Burchill, P.C., I understand that even when divorce is the best option, it can still be a frustrating process. I am a dedicated divorce lawyer with more than 10 years of experience, I also understand the implications of Colorado no-fault divorce statutes and divorce code guidelines. I can evaluate your situation from every angle to determine the best course of action.

As an experienced Longmont attorney, I also understand the emotional and financial hardships you may be facing. It is my goal to guide you through the legal system as effectively as possible to help you receive a suitable outcome. To learn more about common divorce issues, please take a moment to review the following frequently asked questions.

Frequently Asked Family Law Questions

How is custody (parental responsibilities) decided? The court reviews several factors and bases its decision on the best interest of the child standard.

What if I want to move out of state with my child? To relocate, you need a motion to modify parenting time. The court will determine the merit of your modification based on the best interest of the children.

How is child support calculated? Colorado uses support guidelines for calculating child support.

When is spousal support awarded? Temporary spousal support may be presumptively awarded in some cases where the parties gross less than $75,000 per year. Post-decree maintenance (in both amount and duration) in Colorado is awarded at the complete discretion of the court.

What does “no-fault” divorce mean? A no-fault divorce enables individuals to file without listing a reason. Additionally, due to no-fault guidelines, the court cannot divide property or debts based on one spouse’s misdeeds.

What is the difference between a legal separation and a divorce? A legal separation divides the parties’ property interests and obligations regarding debt, custody and support, but does not dissolve the marriage. A divorce allocates property and debt, enters orders regarding spousal and child support, and dissolves the marriage.

How long does it take to get divorced? By statute, the parties must wait 90 days from the date of service of the petition. It may take longer than that depending on the facts of the case and the court’s docket.

I lost my job. How do I modify child support or spousal support? A qualified lawyer can review your circumstances and the facts to guide you through the modification process.

How much will my divorce cost? A divorce can be fairly inexpensive if the case is resolved quickly. It can be pretty expensive if a lot of litigation, phone calls and letters are needed.

Arrange an Appointment

I invite you to contact me online or by phone at 888-334-6547 or toll free at . Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and by appointment. My office is located near the Longmont Post Office.