Exclusive Focus In Family Law for Over 10 Years

Court sentences Rodman for delinquent support payments

On Behalf of | Jun 8, 2012 | Uncategorized |

Child and spousal support can be a contentious issue not only during a divorce, but also in the following years. What do you do when your spouse stops making the payments?

Dennis Rodman recently learned those consequences. A judge found him guilty of 4 counts of contempt and sentenced him to 104 hours of community service and 3 years of informal probation for failing to pay the support required by the terms of his 2004 divorce. The court also ordered that he pay $32,500 in attorney’s fees to his ex-wife.

Rodman’s finances have apparently changed. He is reported to be playing in basketball games in Europe and Asia, although he is no longer making the money he once did as a professional player. During the period in 2009-10 when he fell behind in his payments, he was expected to pay $50,000 in monthly support. That amount has since been reduced to $4,500 per month. Rodman claims that he is now current on those obligations.

If you need to address the issue of child or spousal support, you may find yourself examining financial, health and insurance policies that you may not have revisited since setting them up. Although you probably cannot stay on your spouse’s health insurance after divorcing, your children may be able to maintain their coverage.

After determining that one spouse should pay alimony, the court may also require that spouse to maintain a life insurance policy as a way to guarantee that he or she will make the payments. Life insurance is a very complex topic, with various applicable laws and regulations. An attorney can walk you through all of these issues and protect your interests during a divorce.

Source: Denver Post, “Dennis Rodman sentenced in child support case,” Amy Taxin, May 29, 2012