Exclusive Focus In Family Law for Over 10 Years

Documents you may need if your ex stops paying alimony

On Behalf of | Jul 21, 2017 | Uncategorized |

Not every divorce will result in an award of alimony. After evaluating the petition of the requesting spouse, a Colorado court may determine if the requesting party will be financially disadvantaged after the marriage is over and if they will need support from their ex in order to maintain their livelihood. While many households now thrive on two incomes and marital parties are on relatively more even financial footing than they historically were, alimony payments are a necessary part of many divorce settlements to ensure that each party can survive on their own.

As long as a paying spouse keeps up with the payments, the administration of an alimony order between exes is rather straightforward. However, if the paying spouse stops making payments to the recipient, the recipient may need to demonstrate the deficiency to the court in order to compel the other to continue meeting their financial obligation.

Basic information on each payment should be recorded by the recipient and should include the date the payment was received, the amount of the payment, the check number if the payment was made by check, the bank and account number from which the payment was drawn, and any check copies or receipts that may be produced when the payment was processed. While this information can be useful for the recipient’s tax obligation, it can also help a court recognize deficiencies in a paying party’s alimony obligation.

Alimony awards can take on different forms depending upon the circumstances of the parties subject to the relevant divorce. If it is awarded, however, it means that a court of law has found that one party requires financial support from the other and that the support is necessary to maintain the recipient into the future. The failure of a party to pay alimony can place burdens on the recipient and courts may compel payments from paying parties if they fail in their duties.